Project Recap: Credit Union Release Management
A $4 billion full-service not-for-profit financial institution that provides Select Employer Group (SEG) and community banking to over 260,000 members.
The client did not have a formal Release Management process in place for their 183 applications, and needed to develop comprehensive documentation of the steps needed to complete each application upgrade. Service desk resources were struggling to find the capacity to execute upgrades, while also being responsible for coordinating internal resources and handling vendor management.
Key Service Areas:
- Release Management
- Change Management
- Resource Training & Planning
- Vendor Management
- Post-Upgrade QA and Test Execution
- MS Azure DevOps (ADO)
- Microsoft Excel
- Kanban Framework
- Interviewed business users, service desk resources, and vendor Account Managers to understand the upgrade processes for each application.
- Created a comprehensive Release Management playbook for all 183 applications to be referenced by the business and IT resources executing each upgrade.
- Compiled and analyzed release data in ADO to plan and allocate resources for future upgrades, and suggest process improvements.
- Managed coordination of internal resources for releases, and communicated with application vendors.
- Allowed Service Desk resources to focus on executing upgrades, rather than coordination and communication with vendors and business users.
- Created reusable test cases and test plans to execute for each release.
- Improved client’s ability to accurately forecast resource and budget needs on a quarterly & annual timeline.